Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Footprints of Mules and Men


A FOB the Rastamule was a bit miffed by City Paper writer Jay Stecher a couple of issues back regarding Stecher's pass over of the Rastamule. The Main-Mule went off because 1) he puts a lot of work into his blog, and 2) he felt the carriage driver beatch blog wasn't on the same level or deserving of said City Paper recognition. I left Ben-Jammin a message of hope, perhaps the writer just wasn't intellectually on the level of the Rastamule's diatribes or perhaps he was rushed for a deadline, used technorati and Chucktown Beatch blog was the first to hit his radar. However, Stecher made amends for his apparent sin to the Holy City's tour guide institution and presented alms to the big red barn giving a nod to the Rastamule in his latest article.

Bitter Sweet

I found Stecher's article to be cowering and self-serving, but I am sure Ben-Jammin is satisfied with the coverage-bad press coverage is still press coverage. Stecher took a couple of shots at the Mule with his "simmer down little camper" and Italian-pie analogy, but my feelings are split on this issue as I understand the views of both the "fox and the hound". From the viewpoint of a writer (WTF-did I just refer to myself in that group?), you must appease your readers because you want to keep people reading, both the Mule and Stecher as do I, take this into consideration when we post our future Pulitzers. However self-serving and sophomoric, Stecher pulled out the horse-whip from the canopy and put a couple of smacks on Ben-Jammin's backside-which he has every right to do, it's his weekly write up-in order to appease the "deluge" (giant wave) of 5 e-mails he received regarding the Mule. That being said, and not to piss off one of the Bushido's most loyal readers, but Ben-Jammin did kind of stomp his own sour grapes, by shooting off his WTF e-mail and seeking attention from someone he normally would not have taken to heart.

Field of Dreams

At first I was a bit confused by Ben's reactions, but then I came to realize, while watching Field of Dreams, why Ben took this over-sight so seriously all . You see, we all want to leave behind a legacy, something that says, this man (woman) lived, this is the impact they left on the world. One day, little Ben might be "doin the Charleston" and take over as the Main-Mule or perhaps he will just simply read what his father has left to posterity, and Ben-Jammin wants to leave behind something great. Countless great writers, photographers and artists were not appreciated until they laid horizonatally 6 feet below deck, and to "ease their pain", we should try to see the genius around us, while we can still ask these great humans questions of why and why not.

The lack of recognition hurts, and it always amazes me how some people continue to go the distance when others shun or humiliate them. There have been numerous times where I have been inclined to fall down on the sword of the Bushido and give it up. I am no genius, and I don't write on the level of the Rastamule or Stecher, but I do have my critics. I have felt burn-out from the pressure to be entertaining or cut-throat towards the political winds all while appeasing the masses. This blog has matured and changed in alignment with its' author. As I have felt defeat or happiness, so has the Bushido. I beat the drum of WTF in the last election. I asked why would you vote for George W again? What has he done that has helped you? My pleas fell on deaf ears. It seemed the masses would rather support someone who although seriously mis-guided, you at least knew where he stood. I became the 'black friend', the Democrat friend you pull out only when someone brands your form of Republicanism racists, immorale, or ignorant. A relationship that I has with a beautiful woman became strained and then crumbled as I showed my true blue colors. I wrote myself onto a deserted island of my own fear and self-loating, finding no comfort, no Wilson to have a ball with and hang by my side at the fire in the evening. It was at that time I decided perhaps I should write about music, movies, and my comments on society.

Footprints
Yet, there would be passing ships by my little island. Every so often I would see Bushido readers at local watering holes and they would give me messages of hope. "Bushido, keep writing." And I have; because I too want to leave footprints and not just in the sand to be washed away with the next tide. Keep writing Ben. There isn't any money in blogging; most people won't care what you have to say, but the internet is a far-reaching instrument of hope and somewhere, for someone you might be the intellectual light house guiding them into port during a turmultous time of war, fear and self-loating. If you can help one person, then you have left a legacy, a footprint and I leave that advice not only for Ben Doyle, but for all writers, thinkers, business leaders and politicians.
Cheers Rasta-Mule! -Jim Trabert

(Btw, I am back from my sabbatical)

No comments: