Saturday, April 22, 2006

College of Charleston Softball


Since I was at Patriot's Point, I decided to poke my head next door, err next diamond, into the College of Charleston v Furman softball game. I know what you all are thinking? Yes, Indeed, we have a very attractive team, especially compared to Furman. God bless the College of Charleston. I digress; despite being easy on the eyes and their .500 record of 25-25, the Cougars can play. They lost the first game of the double-header 1 to 0. Amber Havnar who allowed 1-run, and fanned two batters, is credited with the loss.

Cougs prevail in the second leg of the double-header
But the Cougs won the second game 3-0. Shannon Howard threw a 2-hit shutout boosting her average to .500, 13-13. Btw, I am not sure if Ms. Howard decided to bottle-out to the blonde side recently, but she looks nothing like her roster picture in person. 3rd baseman, Izmena (Ice) Cabrera went 3 for 4, (.278) showing a perfect line of defense at the hot corner. Short-stop, Jessica Lyness went 1 for 3, with a RBI. Jessica caught an ear full from the Coach for not taking 2nd on an overthrow in the dust of her RBI, but I disagree with the coach. 2nd base is where all the action was and I think she saved an out. Although my girl Shlick didn't get a hit in the second game, she did go 1 for 2 in the first game. She had good cuts on the ball, and a few fouls over the fence, but came up short, striking out both times she was at the plate. That's right folks, Shondra Schlichenmayer beats out CofC catcher Alex Garabedian as the Bushido's player of the week. (See photo) I am not biased here because Shlick is better looking; I am judging on defensive and offensive merits only.
Golden moments
I did have a chance to meet with Jennifer Golden's Dad, Chris, who gave me the run down about Jennifer. An Atlanta native (Conyers), She is a transfer student from Texas A&M, having left after Coach Missy Phillips left the Aggies. CofC heard she was considering transferring and entertained her enough to ink a scholarship to play for the College. While I was talking to her Dad, she smacked a double, so I guess we need to give a ceremonial bow to the CofC recruiting department. Chris did put the Bushido on the spot when he asked me if I was dating one of the girls on the team-I wish. No, I am just the supportive alum, or dirty old man, take your pick.

Next up
The Cougars will play the 3rd game in the SoCon series with Furman tomorrow at 1 pm.

No comments: