Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Walk the Line

One of the greatest stories of one of the greatest Americans, Johnny Cash "Walk the Line" is available for rent or purchase today on DVD today. Click here for the trailer. As you all know I am a big fan of the book, "Cash, by Johnny Cash" which is the basis for the movie. The movie was fantastic with great performances and great music; it truly puts John's printed word in to a magical format that is simply pure excellence for the eyes. I was hesitant when Puerto Rican actor Joaquin Phoenix was tapped to play Cash, but his performance is worthy of both JR's blessing and the nods he has received from the critics. Phoenix learned the guitar, the facial expressions and developed the dark, yet warming glare of Johnny Cash's eyes. He also sang all of the tracks during the movie which is one phenomenal rendition of a classic.
Probably the best insight given to June Carter's life (ever portrayed) comes from my favorite girl from Nashville Reese Witherspoon. Her girl next door country (twang) brogue melts my heart like a tall glass of sweet-tea on a hot South Carolina afternoon. With Witherspoon's performance you can't help to see albeit a small glimpse of what made Johnny fall into a burning ring of fire for Mrs. June Carter Cash. Look for this film to clean up on Sunday at the Oscars.
















Mark Campbell wanted me to remind everyone that "Pride and Prejudice" also is available on DVD today. I think this would be a bold choice if you decide to rent or purchase this movie, but Mark said, "Pride & Prejudice" is a great love story, full of romance, humor and circumstances of the heart." I guess that it also has a lot of Pride & Prejudice, but that is not going to make me run out and buy this flick-I am just not a fan of Keira Knightly.

2 comments:

WB said...

"Her girl next door country (twang) brogue melts my heart like a tall glass of sweet-tea on a hot South Carolina afternoon."

Well put.

My wife and I went to see this a couple of months ago. I wasn't expecting too much...I wasn't exactly a Johnny Cash fan. However, the movie was great; it's one of the best I've seen in quite a long time. I also downloaded (legally, I might added...thanks, I-tunes) a number of Johnny Cash songs.

Great movie, great music....highly recommended.

ジェームズ (JET) said...

Read the book-Cash is a heck of a story teller and came of age alongside many of the greatest entertainers of our time. The story about him at the First Baptist Church in New York sitting next to a young handicapped Jewish child who dreamt that if he went to a Baptist church his hero, Johnny Cash, would come and sit next to him-quite touching.