Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Obama's uhh, his uhh, response to Bush's SOTU speech


All right, everyone knows that I am a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat and it pisses me off that the President refers to the "Democrat Victory" in Congress, instead of the "Democratic Victory", (Was the President's victory a "Republic Victory"?) but you all know that I like a good laugh as well. Enter Senator Barack Obama. (Photo complments of the good people of the Lincoln State)


As one of the Democratic responses tonight, Presidential Candidate and Senator from Illinois, Senator Barack Obama responded with the following: “The president offered some serious proposals tonight on two issues — energy and health care — that we all agree must be addressed,” said Obama in a statement. “I'm glad he did, and I think it's important to respond in a constructive way. But the last election proved that politics-by-slogan and poll-tested sound bites aren't going to cut it with the American people anymore, and that's why the real test of leadership is not what the president said to Congress tonight, but how he works with Congress to find real solutions to the problems we face. Most Americans believe that escalation will not bring the war in Iraq to a responsible end, and that's why I've proposed not just a troop cap, but a phased redeployment that will start bringing our troops home"

Now I know that looks great on paper, but if I find the video for this, Public Speaking 101 teachers across the country will pull their hair out. Mel pointed out that Senator Obama overuses the (pause) "uhhh". The more I watched the more "uhh.." came out of the Senator's mouth. Sure he was shooting from the hip and on National television representing himself and the Party, but Senator, please by all means cut down your useage of uhhh..what's the word I am looking for? Oh that's it-"uhhh..." I am sure we will soon see this on a SNL (Saturday Night Live) skit, if the right-honorable gentleman representing the great state of Illinois doesn't find a way to trim his pauses.

No comments: